Priest, 74, Charged With Gross Indecency
Irish Examiner, October 13, 2010 by Sean O’Riordan
A 74-YEAR-OLD priest in the diocese of Cloyne in Co Cork has been charged with three counts of gross indecency against a teenage boy.
Fr Brendan Wrixon was charged with committing the alleged offences which are said to have taken place at three different locations in north Cork on unknown dates between October 1982 and October 1983.
He was charged with committing an act of gross indecency with the teenager at the Convent of Mercy, Bathview, Mallow, on a date between October 16, 1982 and February 15, 1983.
Wrixon was also charged with two other counts of committing acts of gross indecency with the youth at Ballintlea, Doneraile, on a date between June 16, 1983, and October 15, 1983, and at Christ the King Church, Shanballymore, on a date between February 16, 1983 and June 15, 1983.
The priest, who lives in the Newmarket area of north Cork, appeared before a sitting of Mallow District Court yesterday where evidence of arrest, charge and caution was given by Detective Garda Colman Murphy.
The detective said he arrested the priest at 1.20pm last Saturday at Bowling Green, Mallow, and conveyed him to the local Garda station.
Judge Olann Kelleher heard Detective Garda Murphy say that when the charges were put to Fr Wrixon he replied that he was "shocked" and "stunned" by them.
Inspector Senan Ryan told Judge Kelleher that Gardaí had served the book of evidence on the case yesterday morning.
The inspector applied to have the priest returned for trial at the next sitting of Cork Circuit Criminal Court on November 9.
Wrixon’s solicitor Brian O’Callaghan applied for free legal aid and handed Judge Kelleher a statement of Wrixon’s means.
However, the judge said he wouldn’t make a ruling on that as Mr O’Callaghan could seek to make the application for free legal aid in the higher court.
Inspector Ryan said he had no objection to Wrixon getting bail.
Judge Kelleher remanded Wrixon on his own bail of €100 and returned him for trial at Cork Circuit Criminal Court on November 9.
Mr O’Callaghan said that the DPP had made a previous decision in the case but had since reviewed the matter.
Mr O’Callaghan said he was therefore reserving his position with a view to addressing that issue in a higher court.
This story appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Wednesday, October 13, 2010
Priest Charged With Abusing Boy
Irish Times, October 12, 2010 by Barry Roche, Southern Correspondent
A 74-year-old priest has appeared in court charged with a number of sexual offences against a teenage boy.
Fr Brendan Wrixon was arrested following a Garda investigation into allegations of clerical child sex abuse in the Diocese of Cloyne.
Fr Wrixon, with an address in Newmarket in Co Cork, appeared at Mallow District Court today on three charges of gross indecency against the boy contrary to Section 11 of the Criminal Law Amendment Act 1885.
He was charged with committing an act of gross indecency with the teenager, then aged 16 or 17, at the Convent of Mercy, Bathview, Mallow on a date unknown between October 16th, 1982 and February 15th, 1983.
He was also charged with two other counts of committing acts of gross indecency with the youth at Ballintlea, Doneraile on a date between June 16th, 1983 and October 15th, 1983 and at Christ the King Church, Shanballymore on a date between February 16th, 1983 and June 15th, 1983.
Det Gda Colman Murphy gave evidence of arrest charge and caution.
He said he arrested Fr Wrixon at Bowling Green in Mallow last Saturday at 1.20pm and put the charges to him.
“I am shocked by it,” Fr Wrixon replied to the first charge, “Again, I am stunned, shocked by it,” he replied to the second charge.
“I am just shocked by it,” he replied to the third charge, Det Gda Murphy told the court.
Insp Senan Ryan said that a book of evidence had been served on Fr Wrixon and he was seeking a return for trial to the next sittings of Cork Circuit Criminal Court, beginning on November 9th.
Brian O’Callaghan, for Fr Wrixon, said that the DPP had made a previous decision in the matter. However, the DPP had since reviewed that decision and he was reserving his position with a view to addressing that issue in a higher court.
Judge Olan Kelleher acknowledged Mr O’Callaghan’s position and adjourned a decision on whether to grant Fr Wrixon free legal aid before remanding him on his own bail of €100 and returning him for trial in November.
Dressed in a purple checked shirt, grey jacket and black trousers, Fr Wrixon, who has not practised in ministry since 2005, spoke only to confirm his identity during the hearing.
Priest 'Stunned' by Gross Indecency Charges
Irish Independent, October 13 2010 by David Forsythe
A PRIEST who appeared in court yesterday on three charges of gross indecency told gardai he was "stunned" and "shocked".
Fr Brendan Wrixon (74) from the Cloyne Diocese was remanded on bail at Mallow District Court where he appeared in relation to the three charges. He is accused of committing the acts of gross indecency against a teenage boy 28 years ago in the north Cork area.
The first charge relates to an alleged act of gross indecency with the teenager at the Convent of Mercy, Bathview, Mallow, between October 16, 1982, and February 15, 1983.
The second charge relates to an alleged act of gross indecency with the teenager at Ballintlea, Doneraile, between June 16, 1983, and October 15, 1983.
On the third charge, Fr Wrixon is accused of an act of gross indecency with the teenager at Christ the King Church in Shanballymore, Cork, between February 16,1983, and Jun 15, 1983.
Giving evidence, Det Gda Colman Murphy said that Fr Wrixon indicated that he was shocked at the charges when they were put to him after caution.
"'I am shocked by it,' he replied to the first charge," the garda told the court.
"'Again, I am stunned, shocked by it,' he replied to the second charge and, 'I am just shocked by it,' he replied to the third charge," Det Murphy said.
Judge Olan Kelleher returned Fr Wrixon for trial at Cork Circuit Criminal Court in November.